Home Iron Application Instructions
**Please contact me IMMEDIATELY if you have any questions with the application process. If your items are damaged from shipping or application, email a photo of the damaged transfer and we will sent a one-time replacement at no charge
Even when viewing the video please follow the below instructions which have been carefully created for home iron on application
Step #1: Use the sample piece provided to check the iron’s temperature as it will vary by brand – Do not use steam or steam setting
- If your iron is too hot, the transfer and fabric will scorch (especially important for heat sensitive fabrics)
- If your iron is too cold, the transfer will not adhere, peel up, or come off during washing
Heat Sensitive Fabrics: Preheat using the lowest heat setting, then work up the heat in small increments as needed until you reach the optimal application temperature to avoid scorching the fabric, use medium to heavy pressure
Step #2: Place your garment(unwashed is best, but washed will still work) on a hard surface(ex: table, stone/tile countertop/floor, make sure your surface cannot be easily damaged by heat or pressure) (thick fabrics such as fleece/denim place as a single layer)
DO NOT USE: Ironing Board, Cardboard, Cookie sheet, Carpet, Towel or similar type soft surface.
Step #3: PREHEAT GARMENT Press garment with iron for 8-10 seconds over the area where the design will be applied.
Step #4: Remove and discard white paper backing, and place transfer face up on the garment
Step #5: Cover the transfer with regular baking parchment paper – any brand will work, DO NOT use wax paper, it is not heat safe & will melt the transfer! Never place the iron directly onto the clear plastic carrier sheet.
Step #6: Press with iron for 8-10 seconds* using HEAVY Pressure
*thinner fabric may require LESS time/pressure, heavier/thicker fabric will require MORE time/pressure **IMPORTANT If you think you are using enough pressure ADD MORE *Do NOT slide the iron, instead lift and press the iron firmly over each piece of the design.
Step #7: Allow the shirt & transfer to cool down for several minutes, the transfer and shirt should be WARM but not hot to the touch
Step #8: Once the transfer is cool, peel off the clear plastic sheet(peeling the plastic too soon will tear the vinyl & it will lift off the shirt as the adhesive needs several minutes to set) If the transfer isn’t sticking STOP & see #10
TIP: If pressing both sides of the garment, stop here, place parchment underneath and in between the fabric layers, apply the design on the opposite side and then continue with the step #9
Step #9: Cover design with the parchment paper and press again for 5-8 seconds over each section. Do not place iron directly on the vinyl, it will melt!
TIP: If pressing multiple transfers allow time between each one for your iron to heat back up
Step #10: What to do if you transfer won’t stick or is peeling up – (do not peel off plastic if the transfer isn’t sticking yet)
- Verify if the fabric type is correct. The transfers will not adhere to all fabric types.
- Increase your iron’s temperature up to the max you can use for the fabric type you are applying onto. Iron temps will vary, your iron may need to be set hotter than what the video says
- Change your surface type, your iron may not be getting enough contact over the transfer
- Increase your pressure on the iron (really push down hard on the iron, it shouldn’t just be set on top of the transfer) for the full time stated. Also try a lower surface so you can get more of your upper body over the iron
- Increase your time per section, and make sure you are not missing any parts (especially important the larger the design)
- Make sure you are allowing the transfer to cool down enough, the adhesive needs additional time to set
- Repeat steps as needed until transfer has fully adhered
Wash & Care Instructions: **DO NOT WASH IN SOAP WITH OXYCLEAN** Oxyclean will eat away the adhesive and the decal will fall off.
- Wait a minimum of 24 hours after application before first wash, turn garment inside out to protect the transfer, wash with like items
- Do not dry clean, No Bleach, Machine wash COLD / Dry at low to normal setting (Hang Dry is recommended) do not use high heat
- AFTER EACH WASHING, WE RECOMMEND TURNING THE GARMENT INSIDE OUT AND PRESS THE IMAGE FROM THE BACK!
- If the transfer begins to come loose or wrinkle at any time, recover with parchment paper (never use wax paper or iron directly over the transfer, or the vinyl will melt) or turn garment inside out and press again with normal pressure for 5-10 seconds covering each section thoroughly. This will help extend the life of your transfer, which will depend on the frequency of washings.
Please note that transfers are shipped weeded and masked, even though these steps are included in the videos
Videos are courtesy of SiserNA the manufacturer of the heat transfer vinyl we use